Today I updated the eMargin software to version 0.2. So what’s new:
- Firstly, users can now be set up as moderators of a text. This allows them to remove comments, tags and whole annotations.
- You can assign labels to colours. Being able to classify colours will make how they should be used clearer for groups. Text admins can also specify whether they alone can edit the colour labels or allow other users to come up with their own.
- Histories. It’s now possible to see the history of a text, showing who has made annotations and when.
- You can search the annotations. Annotations can found based on the text in the comments, the tags, their colour, who made them and when.
- Users can choose how highlights are displayed, either background highlights or underlining. We’ll experiment with other views for different situations.
- Last, but not at all least, we’ve added a touch-screen mode for making annotations. Touch-screen devices don’t allow you to drag a mouse over the text, or to drag objects around the screen, so we’ve added an alternative way to achieve those tasks.
Some of these features were part of the original outline for eMargin, and some of them are in response to user feedback. Of course there is more in the pipeline and we’ll keep developing…